July 2, 2010

S'mores Cupcakes



These S'more cupcakes are made with graham flour, honey, and cinnamon so they sort of taste like graham crackers. They are topped with an icing made out of gelatin and a simple syrup (sugar and water brought to a boil) that was then whipped with the electric mixer for about 8 minutes. Thank goodness for my Kitchen Aid mixer!! I would have to build up alot more arm strength if I had to mix that icing by hand. I was personally not really a fan of the icing, although everyone else didn't seem to dislike it. I think next time I'd add some vanilla. Although the icing wasn't the best tasting it really did have the consistency of a marshmallow and the gelatin allowed it to stay that consistency. In between the cupcake and the icing is a layer of chocolate glaze. The glaze couldn't be easier to make, its just heavy cream and corn syrup heated to a simmer that is then poured over chocolate chips (I used a combination of milk and semi sweet ghirardelli chocolate chips).


Another first!! A video! I thought this would be a good video to post. I had my little sister tape it for me. I was thinking about just holding the camera in one hand and the flame torch in the other but then realized how badly that could end. For the finishing touch I used a kitchen torch to "roast the marshmallow." It was really cool and you can kind of see how it fluffs up and sizzles. This has probably been the easiest icing to toast that I've made so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment