June 30, 2010

Flower Headband





I decided to make this flower headband for one of my friends as a birthday present. The flower and leaves are made out of felt that was recycled from two wool sweaters. The green sweater I found already felted in a box of old clothes and the pink one my mom found at a thrift store and felted it. Before I knew my mom had the pink sweater I attempted to find some wool sweaters on my own in a couple of local thrift stores but was dreadfully unsuccessful. Of the few sweaters I did find (probably because its summer)none of them would have worked, they were all either cotton or a combination of cotton and acrylic. In order to felt fabric it has to be wool or mostly wool so that it can be cut.

I cut the green fabric into leaves and then with a lighter green thread embroidered the leaves so that there looked to be veins on the leaves. Next, I cut the pink fabric into the shape of petals and sewed them together. You know all of those extra buttons that come with sweaters and dresses and stuff? Well for some reason I have kept all of these buttons even though I have never actually used one to replace a lost button. Well, I finally found a use for one of those, I used it as the center of the flower. For the headband part I knitted a thin brown strip and then bound it together. Once I had all of the pieces I sewed them all together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment