July 30, 2010

Ladybug Cupcakes



I made these ladybug cupcakes for a party I attended. The ladybugs are made out of fondant that was dyed black and red. I made the fondant using mini marshmallows, water, and powdered sugar. To make the fondant you put 8 oz. of mini marshmallows and 2 tbps. water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute and then stir. If there are still lumps you can put the marshmallows back in the microwave. After the marshmallows are smooth, add in 4 cups of powdered sugar a little at a time, then knead the fondant until it is the desired consistency, adding more powdered sugar as necessary. If you are just making one color, you can add the food coloring into the melted marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar, but if you want to make more than one color then wait until after you knead the fondant and the add the coloring. This recipe makes alot of fondant and was way more than necessary for my 24 ladybugs, but it can keep for a while in the refrigerator to be used for something else.To assemble the ladybugs simply make 24 red ovals and 24 black balls and then add the desired amount of spots using small balls of black fondant. To give the appearance of grass, I used a Wilton #233 tip (with multiple openings) and piped on the green icing.

1 comment:

  1. Zoe!!!!!! There are my new favorites!! (Don't I always say that?) but truly, they're AH-mazing. Wish I could eat them, because I'm sure they're as scrumptious as they look.

    ReplyDelete