April 29, 2010

A Classic Gingerbread House!



Here's the first baking post! I guess it sort of combines baking and crafting though. My friend and I made this Gingerbread House as per our annual tradition. What started out as a one day project turned into a two day extravaganza of sugar, icing and decorations. We baked and cut out the gingerbread sides on the first day and then assembled and decorated on the next day. To construct the house, we used caramelized sugar while it was still hot. We dipped the sides into the sugar and then put them all together! I was a little nervous since I had never used this method before, but it turned out great! It was by far the sturdiest gingerbread house I've ever made and we didn't have to hassle with trying to hold the sides together waiting for icing to dry since the sugar dried really quickly (so we had to work pretty quickly to assemble it) The windows we made out of crushed up Lifesavers which gave them a cool stained glass look. The shingles are, of course, Necco wafers!

No comments:

Post a Comment