January 18, 2011

Fortune Cookie Cupcakes

I work at Forbidden City, a Chinese restaurant in Virginia Beach, so for our Holiday party I decided that I would make fortune cookie cupcakes! I made both chocolate and vanilla cupcakes and buttercream frosting which I tinted yellow.
To make the fondant you put 8 oz. of mini marshmallows and 2 tbps. water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute and then stir. If there are still lumps you can put the marshmallows back in the microwave. After the marshmallows are smooth, add in 4 cups of powdered sugar a little at a time, then knead the fondant until it is the desired consistency, adding more powdered sugar as necessary. If you are just making one color, you can add the food coloring into the melted marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar, but if you want to make more than one color then wait until after you knead the fondant and the add the coloring.
I needed both brownish yellow and white, so I didn't dye the fondant until after the sugar was incorporated. Sometimes the fondant becomes difficult to work with so I usually dust the surface that I am working on with powdered sugar and corn starch, and make sure that the fondant doesn't get to warm. If it does, just stick it in the refrigerator for a little while to let it cool down a bit. I rolled the brown fondant out and then cut it into circles, which I then trifolded, then folded in half to make the half moon fortune cookie shape. For the white, I rolled it out and cut it into strips and then using a black food color pen, wrote messages on them, the tip was still pretty wide despite being "fine tip" so I had to keep the phrases pretty short.

No comments:

Post a Comment