March 6, 2011

[Gluten Free] Nutella Cupcakes



One of my friends at college can't eat gluten, so when I would make cupcakes or sweets, most of the time she wouldn't be able to eat them. Around Valentine's Day, this year, I found a blog that had a good variety of gluten free desserts. I found this recipe for Gluten Free Nutella Cupcakes and knew I had to try it! To say that my friends at college love Nutella would be an understatement, I think the love lies somewhere between an obsession and an addiction! But really, what's not to love about chocolately hazelnuty goodness? So I knew I had to try to out! And luckily this recipe only called for 2 different types of flour (many gluten free recipes have lengthy lists of ingredients to make up for the absences of wheat flour). So I set out for my neighborhood Whole Foods Market and got to baking!



The recipe I found came from a blog entitled Tartelette but I've reproduced it below as well. I also used a buttercream frosting instead of a cream cheese frosting.

1 stick + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temp
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 Nutella
2 large eggs
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sweet rice flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 corn starch
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
extra Nutella for filling cupcakes

Preheat the oven to 350F. Place muffin liners in tins. Beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add the milk and Nutella, then add the eggs one at a time, incorporating after each addition. In a separate bowl combine the flours, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt and then add this to the dry mixture, mixing until smooth. Divide evenly among the 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely before frosting. For an added surprise, I injected the cupcakes with more Nutella once they were finished baking.

Buttercream Frosting

1 stick butter
1 pound powdered sugar (4 cups)
2-3 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl, add vanilla, then add milk one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment