January 18, 2011

Baby Clothes!

So when I found out that I was going to be finished with all of my exams in the first week of the exam period I was pretty excited. I then realized that I actually would have to stay until the very end of the exam period due to my position as an RA. So, to make the best use of my time (I had an entire week of no tests or classes!) I decided that I would make some crafts!



I made these clothes for my baby cousin Felix for Christmas. The first shirt is a felt Christmas tree with embroidered detailing which I adhered to the long sleeved onsie using an iron transfer and then reinforce that by sewing around the edges. I had to wait to sew it until I got home, since I don't have a sewing machine at school.



Here is a close up of the felt Christmas tree with the embroidered detailing. I am just starting to learn how to embroider. I found this website which has lots of really great videos and finally learned how to make french knots! Thats how I made all of the little ornaments. I am really excited to learn more about embroidery!



For this shirt I used freezer paper and an exacto knife to cut out a template for the shirt. The freezer paper is waxy on one side so when you iron it onto the shirt, it sticks so the fabric paint doesn't get underneath the template, but its not too sticky, so the transfer can be easily removed when you are finished painting! I made another shirt, but unfortunately I forgot to get a picture of it!


Here is a picture of Felix with his Christmas shirt on!

1 comment: