July 10, 2012

Homemade Pasta





For my birthday, I got a KitchenAid stand mixer from my parents and then my aunt and uncle gave me a pasta attachment! I have always found the idea of making homemade pasta intriguing and have always wanted to try it and finally did! The recipe for pasta is extremely simple, but there are so many ways that you can change and vary it, but I decided to stick with a plain recipe for the first try! The recipe I used called for a mix of Italian "00" flour and semolina, I was able to get the first at William's Sonoma and the semolina at Harris Teeter. King Arthur flour also makes a semolina blend pasta flour that I have heard is really good and easy to work with so I might give that a try in the future! 

Here is the recipe that I used!

1 2/3 cups flour (half "00" and half Semolina)
2 medium or large eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
A pinch of sea salf

Sift the flour onto a clean work surface and make a well in the center with your fist. Break the eggs into the well and add the oil and salt. Gradually mix the egg mixture into the flour using the fingers of one hand, bringing the ingredients together into a firm dough, if the dough is too dry, add a few drops of water, if its too wet, add a little more flour. Knead the pasta until smooth 2 to 5 minutes and then allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment