July 24, 2011

Baby Jumper


Felix, my 16 month old cousin, sporting his new jumper. He was surprised that I was able to sew this for him!



For Christmas my parents gave me sewing lessons;however, I had to wait until summer to actually be able to take them. I grew up learning the basics of sewing, but recently started to want to learn more about sewing, especially about how to make clothes! I learned to hand sew when I was in first grade. My first grade teacher taught us all how to sew and while she would read to us during circle time we would all sew little gnomes or weave on the looms that were in the classroom. We still have some gnomes floating around my house! I don't exactly remember when I was taught to sew on a sewing machine but I am sure it was one of the times my mom was making us Halloween costumes or something like that.

So I finally had time to take sewing lessons this summer and this jumper was the first thing I made. It really was pretty simple to make, I was able to complete it in two classes, so a total of 4 hours. I think that the hardest part about sewing is reading the pattern, so taking the lessons really helped to better understand all of the tricky things in the pattern, plus the woman who taught the lessons was really knowledgeable and had a lot of great tips that are definitely not included in the instructions! I am excited that I can now say that I can sew clothes, but I am in no way an expert, there are still so many things to learn, and much practice needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment